Classes and Awesome Opportunities

Wednesday, February 18th, 2015 at 4:10pm

Hey peoples! I'm still wondering if anyone knows how to change the time zone on this thing. Leave me a comment if you do!

I'm working on my class schedule right now and blocking off dates for all my fieldwork/field trips. Here's what I'm taking:

MB3210 Life History and Evolution of Reef Corals which includes 24 hours of lectures, 36 hours of practicals and 16 hours of fieldwork at the Orpheus Island Research Station (OMG!!!) from April 2nd-4th or the 4th-6th.
An introduction to the biology of corals and physiological processes involved in building reefs. An overview of the life histories of sessile, modular organisms, incorporating current research findings with respect to reproductive strategies and early life histories, algal symbiosis, and the evolutionary biology of corals. Aspects of the functional morphology and physiology of corals will be explored in relation to major issues impacting coral reefs, particularly bleaching and disease. A 2 day field trip will include an introduction to the taxonomy of reef-building corals and to lab and field research methods for the study of reef corals.

MB3160 Evolution and Ecology of Reef Fishes which includes 26 hours of lectures, 24 hours of practicals and 29 hours of fieldwork/fieldtrips at ReefHQ (the local Great Barrier Reef Aquarium) on April 11th and Orpheus Island Research Station (again!!!!!!) from April 28th-May 1st.

The biology of coral reef fishes with an emphasis on species from reefs and adjacent waters of the Great Barrier Reef. The subject covers the ecology, morphology, systematics and evolution of coral reef fishes. Practical work includes a laboratory and field program that introduces functional morphology, ecology and field identification of coral reef fishes. This subject will also provide an introduction to laboratory and field research methods.

BZ2705 Australian Vertebrate Fauna which includes 26 hours of lectures and 24 hours of fieldwork at the Wambiana Cattle Station from April 25th-27th.
The biogeography, evolution and contemporary diversity of terrestrial vertebrates and marine reptiles and mammals in Australia. Topics include geological and climate history of Australia; biogeographic regions of Australia, origins and evolution of the vertebrate fauna; behaviour, breeding and life histories of vertebrates in relation to the Australian environment.

EV3203 Conserving Marine Wildlife: Sea Mammals, Birds, Reptiles which includes 25 hours of lectures, 24 hours of tutorials and 16 hours of fieldwork idk where yet.
Role of wildlife in marine systems; threatening processes, current and historical, impacting on marine wildlife; indigenous peoples use of marine wildlife, including management strategies; the theory and practice of the scientific study of populations or marine wildlife; the theoretical basis to, and practical application of, management practices to control human impacts on marine wildlife.

I didn't really realize how big of a deal this is until I got here. It is extremely difficult to get into the two MB courses and to be allowed to go to the Orpheus Island Research Center. Not to mention that I'm a study abroad student who was approved to take not one but both courses. It's so crazy the opportunities I have here! I also didn't realize that JCU is ranked in the top 4% of universities worldwide. I am so lucky and so blessed to be here. It's going to be a ton of work but the education and experiences I'm going to get out of it will be beyond compare.

I'm a little nervous about their grading policies. Every class only has one exam and that's the final exam. Each final exam is worth at least 50% (yikes!) but the good thing is that we get a week off of classes to prepare. Another sort of downside is that all of the fieldwork trips take up my long Easter weekend break and my week-long semester break which makes it harder for me to travel. I'm sill hoping to go to Sydney for a weekend and Brisbane as well if I can manage it. I was kind of hoping to spend the week-long semester break in New Zealand (since I'm here) but that's not going to work out because of the field work. But hey, I'll be having an awesome time doing research on the Great Barrier Reef so it's totally worth it!

Today they had market day which is where all the clubs and organizations have booths set up. I didn't find the ones I was looking for but I'm still planning on joining a hiking club and the marine biology/science club. I might even try my hand at scuba diving. I'm not sure if my ears will pressurize like they're supposed to though. Other than that I've just been going to all the O Week lessons to try and get ahead as much as possible. I don't want to be struggling to figure out how to use all the online class websites etc. I'll also have some new ideas on how to study for the classes here since the requirements are very different from the ones back home.

I think that's plenty for today. Later peoples!

No comments:

Post a Comment